First steps require will and determination, whether it’s a toddler leaving the security prop of a mother’s knee or a first jog around the block in preparation to run a marathon.
We invite you to prayerfully look over these first steps toward creating church planting momentum. Choose a couple of initial options, take a step, and let us know how we can help and cheer you on.
Randy Weener: firstname.lastname@example.org; (616) 560-4001
Mike Hayes: email@example.com; (510) 545-6627
Tim Vink: firstname.lastname@example.org; (616) 499-5125
Start talking about it
- Chronicle God’s faithful acts to you and your church since you launched and tell (retell) the stories of how God has provided and blessed.
- Name the fears that keep you from moving forward in multiplication, and ask God to help you overcome them.
- Talk to your coach about it.
- Talk about multiplying with your leaders.
- Read Planting Missional Churches, by Ed Stetzer, with your leaders.
- Preach from multiplication texts in Scripture. (See 12 Multiplication Scriptures for ideas.)
- Publicly announce to the congregation the vision to give birth to a new church.
Pray and listen
- Pray that God will reveal an opportunity to multiply. Ask others to join you in this prayer. Offer these prayers in public worship.
- Listen attentively to the Spirit’s nudging toward a location or people group.
- Interview leaders from a young church that has planted a church and learn from them.
- Review demographics to learn about a location you are sensing a call to reach. We can provide you free MissionInsite demographic reports. Click here for the form to request a report.
- Prayer-walk neighborhoods where you feel led to plant.
- Hang out and listen to people in the community you feel called to reach. Discover how the good news will most compellingly speak to their needs.
- Interview public leaders in the community where you sense called to plant (mayor, police chief, superintendent of schools, business leaders, other pastors).
Look for Leaders and Partners
- Listen for those who show passion for the vision to plant and who could rise up as champions. Devote extra time to discipling them.
- Look for people who have gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, shepherd, or teacher.
- Listen for other churches that may show interest in partnering with you.
- Recruit a planter intern to work with you in your current church.
- Form a church multiplication team.
- Regularly set aside money for future multiplication.
- Commit to an ultimate goal.
- Draft a church plant budget and begin securing additional financial resources as needed.
- Begin doing service and evangelism ministry in the identified community.
- Adopt a timeline with measurable, accountable steps.
- Challenge and release people from your church to go with the new plant.
- Complete a New Congregation Plan.[link]
What first steps are you going to take? By when?
In order to move toward planting a church, what may you need to stop doing?